Skip to main content

Reply to "Frustration setting in"

Step back.   Put the Daddy stats to the side.   Look at the big picture.   Is this working or not working for your son.   If so, why?  If not, why?  Take a logical view of where your son is,and where he needs to be in 1.5 years.   Is this the program that can give him the opportunity to get there if he continues to work hard?

Understand you and your son's frustration.   At 16U your roles should be mostly established on a high school, Legion, or travel team.   If you are going to look at this through the frustration lens you'll probably get more frustrated.   I think you have to look at the bigger picture as if it were a job.   I think you have to have these three things to really make it work:

1) Am I happy?  Do I really like playing for this team? 

2) Is he being developed?   Am I learning something that is going to take me to the next level.   Is my coach helping my skills and giving me the opportunity to grow?

3) Valued.  Is he better off somewhere else?   Am I getting value for my money?  If you are paying to play on this team and you aren't satisfied with their effort/approach to developing your son then I think you need to meet with the travel coach to talk this through in a positive way.   I had a very frank conversation with my son's travel coach when he was 14 years old.   Best baseball conversation I ever had with that coach, and he became a HUGE advocate for my son 3 years later when we were making college decisions.

Good luck!