Skip to main content

Reply to "Frustration setting in"

Mead, if he is hoping to get recruited, at 17 he will want a travel coach who will help him with that.  I would start now looking for a team with a focus on playing college ball.  The college coaches looking at your son will talk to his coaches.  Some will talk to your son because his coaches recommend him.  You want to find a travel coach who believes your son is a college prospect. 

You might also look for a trusted third party to objectively evaluate your son's potential as a college prospect.  Perhaps an area pitching instructor or work-out facility?  You don't want someone who will blow smoke.  You need an honest assessment of where he is.  We did this for my son just before his junior year of high school to make sure college ball wasn't just a pipe dream and he was targeting colleges that were a good fit.

Meanwhile, at 16, your son is a 2022, right?  I agree with JABMK.  Unless he is not ready, it is time for your son to start looking for opportunities to get in front of some college coaches and on their follow lists.  Not at local tournaments, but at a showcase or a few camps, perhaps in late summer or fall.  If you can get to one and can afford it, he should consider going to an event that will verify and put up his measurables, such as PBR, PG, Showball, HeadFirst, etc.  There may be other, more affordable options, but you want something college coaches have access to and can trust. 

Just my .02. 

Also, I agree with cabbagedad that you need to flush your concerns about game stats.  By all means, keep your own stats so you and your son can see how he's doing.  I would not compare him to other players on the team, though.  Focus on his performance and what he can work on.  Focus on what you can control, not what you can't.  I know it's hard.  I've felt many of the same things you're describing at various times, too.  We probably all have.  But those are not things worth stewing about.

ETA: My son is a position player, not a pitcher, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would not get overly obsessed with how fast his fastball is.  From what I'm seeing, there are plenty of D3 schools who recruit pitchers throwing in the low to mid 80s if they can locate and there are D1s who recruit kids throwing in the high 80s, especially if the college coaches think he projects to throw harder later.

Last edited by LuckyCat