Skip to main content

Reply to "Frustration setting in"

Fenwaysouth- my son loves his teammates but no he is not being developed and this season he doesn’t feel valued from the coaches- teammates and parents-yes. But we have to look at the big picture.

anotherparent- FB is mid to low 80’s however my son can throw FB, Curves, and Sliders. The other kid (#1 🙄) FB only and mostly low 80s plus he can’t go more than 3 innings or 40 pitches because his arm gives out.

LuckyCat- we are looking at other teams that are interested in developing players and interested in helping them find the right schools. My son has done PBR and a couple of D1 camps. He will be doing a showcase later this summer for D1-D3 and NAIA schools. He is contacting colleges. He feels he is more suited for a D3 (right now). He does have an NCSA account as well.

GOV- he has had some great feedback from other coaches and  umpires at games. At the showcases the feedback is so so. His pitching coach is a minor leaguer and also a player development coach for a D1 school and he gives my son honest feedback from time to time plus he is a really good mentor.

baseballhs-“ the other kid” is no where near a #1 in the state. Honestly I have seen way better. Plus he has yet to perform on the mound. Is he good?  yes. But he doesn’t put in the work or the arm care. I wouldn’t even say he is top 100 in the State. Now, for our area and schools he would definitely be a starter for JV, like my son would be. But I think (and my son has proven it already) that he could/would have been a back up for Varsity if the HS season had taken place. Next year will tell us more.

Overall, our team is doing tournaments on the weekends where college coaches “potentially could be there”. My son did get an email from a D3 coach who caught a video and wanted more info and more footage. So that was encouraging. 
My son looks at his pitching like a job he wants to succeed and do well. He works on the mental aspect and the physical. He takes his arm care seriously and he has goals. So we are looking down the road towards the future. Will he be happy playing for a team where he isn’t the starter? Yes, because he would see that as a challenge and work even harder to earn that position. This current team, we have 3 starters and 6 back up throwers but he is treated like he is nothing. And that’s where the frustration comes in at. When the other team coach comes to shake my sons hand after a job well done and his coach can’t even say nice job or thanks for doing your job, well, that says a lot too.

thank you all for the advice and wise words. The advice has been heard and will be applied. Wishing your kids success also.