Skip to main content

Reply to "Frustration setting in"

@LuckyCat posted:

Another thing occurs to me in reading over this thread.  It seems to me that at 16 and 17 most summer teams unfortunately do not make development a big priority.  While they'll work on some things where they can, they seem primarily focused on showcasing and recruiting, and expect the players and their families to look outside the team if they want real help developing.  Am I wrong about that?

I think the idea for most is that high level players don't need their hands held. Summer practice is more for reps and staying sharp than it is development. The way I see it is that these players had from Nov-June to develop. 

One of the teams he played for at 16/17 did not practice at all. They'd get to the tournament a day early and take some BP/ground balls but that was it. 5 guys on that team were drafted out of HS. 

By the time you're a junior or senior in HS if you're still worried about development - recruiting is likely going to be an issue. You have to work on your own time to get where you want to be.