Skip to main content

Reply to "Frustration setting in"

@LuckyCat posted:

Who said anything about being "worried?"  Every player should keep developing, even after he is playing in college, even after he's drafted.  There is always room to get better and any self-respecting athlete is going to keep working at it.  I haven't seen a kid yet on a 17u team that should stop working on his development, including a few first round draft picks.

I realize that it is the reality that these "showcase teams" are all about recruiting and not much about developing (except in game reps as other have pointed out) but I find that sad, really. I also think that it has contributed to pricing baseball right out of some people's budgets and helped make baseball more and more a rich family's sport.

Form of speech, not actually worried. I understand development never ends, I meant it more to say if you're 16/17 you will be doing a lot of the development on your own time. If you're relying on your summer coach to give instruction on how to be a better ballplayer it would likely imply that playing college ball is going to be an uphill battle. 

When I think development I think training, lifting, mechanics, etc. A summer coach should be able to contribute to all that, but I also think that should be done year round on an individual basis, not during team practices. IMO you have all year to develop for HS and summer ball. That is where you see the results of said development.