Skip to main content

Reply to "Full count sign"

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kremer:
quote:
Again, a proper signal accompanied by "Three balls and two strikes, has never seemed to confuse anyone in my games.

It's not about being confused, it is about being able to see what the count is. Most umpires don't say the count loud enough for people in the stands to hear.
And lots of people can't distinguish the number of fingers being held up.

I am sure what you say about the "proper" signal is true. I'm just suggesting an improvement that would make it easier for the people in the seats.

Nobody is going to be confusing a clenched fist full count sign for an 0-0 count.

Don't the "proper" mechanics ever change and evolve?

yes proper mechanics do change/evolve......and the current proper way to show a full count is with your fingers showing "3 balls and 2 strikes".....its not balled up fists, and its not calling out "full count" or "full Boat" or "thirty two" ....

As to be loud enough for fans to hear, thats not our concern... I am not there to be the Public Address announcer....now I usually dont have any issues as I have by nature an umpiring voice that carries.....but I am only concerned that the batter,catcher and pitcher see or hear my count.....the rest of the participants are on their own or can ask me.....the fans can watch the scoreboard....
Last edited by piaa_ump