Skip to main content

Reply to "Full count sign"

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kremer:
quote:
The umpires are there to officiate the game, nothing else. The spectators are not part of the game

I understand this, but still, it seems to me, that if a simple change could be made that makes the viewing experience better for the people in the stands, why so much resistance?

So far I have heard exactly zero good reasons why closed fists are not a good idea. I could summarize the reasons given as "because we don't do it that way."

Many professions have standard way of doing things. Those standards are decided upon because they have been adjudged by those in the profession to meet the desired objective in the best, most precise manner. Clearly, to most people, holding up three fingers on one hand and two on the other represents 3 and 2 more definitively than banging two fists together.

Also there is a reluctance to change to the whim of spectators. Where does it stop? You want this, someone else wants that. Why not yell "Thirty Two!" Why just say "Safe?" Why not say, "No, he beat the tag, he's safe?" It goes on and on.

And finally, the ability to meet and apply those standards is one of the criteria by which umpires are evaluated. Evaluating apples to apples is easier than apples to oranges.
Last edited by Jimmy03