Skip to main content

Reply to "Full count sign"

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kremer:
Sounds kind of like I am repeating my central point to multiple posters who didn't address it. Nor have you.

Funny thing I have learned about some umpires - in real life they think they are still on the diamond, and can eject people who argue with them.

Just to add in my last passing comments, you have indeed repeated your central point to multiple posters....and you received 5 consistent answers on why that mechanic is not recommended or approved by the accredited authorities that govern Umpires..

Since I happen to know much of our Umpire posters reputations and resumes....at the NFHS and higher levels, I can tell you that what they say to you is the right in line with the approved mechanics for HS and College and Pro umpires.

It is imperative that we have an accepted set of mechanics so that in the course of doing games we can all be on the same page. An accepted set of mechanics insures we all know what signals we are giving and the resulting implications of those signals.

You may or may not know that the count is only a small part of the accepted signals that umpires use to communicate with the participants and with each other... they have to be standardized....about the only mechanic that you are allowed to personalize a bit is the strike 3 mechanic...but even that can come under an negative evaluators eye if deemed to be too flamboyant....

Like a pre-flight checklist for a pilot, we are directed to have a "pregame" conference with our partners to go over signals, coverages and procedures...the key to that and then also the game going smoothly is accepted standards.

You have made some comments in this thread regarding umpires and that this would make the game better for the fans.... In no way is an umpire directed to do anything for the fans....quite the contrary, we are directed to disregard the fans in all areas...we are not to engage them, be influenced by them or in any way consider the fan in the operation of a baseball game. Our authority is inside the fences...not outside....'

Most of the umpire bashing we hear in these threads are about umpires who overstep the boundaries that the rules and the mechanics set out for us......Showboaters, loudmouths, unprofessional, confrontational umpires who would not be in that position if they just followed the accepted standards and procedures....

I take exception to your last comment regarding ejecting people who argue with them.....you have been treated with courtesy and at no time was this thread closed, locked or altered. Your opinion was dutifully considered by 5 reputable umpires and our opinion was stated...

Just my .02