Skip to main content

Reply to "Full count sign"

quote:
I take exception to your last comment regarding ejecting people who argue with them.....you have been treated with courtesy and at no time was this thread closed, locked or altered. Your opinion was dutifully considered by 5 reputable umpires and our opinion was stated...

I was referring to Jimmy's remark that I insist my opinion counts more than those who set the standards, as if simply reiterating my point in a very mild way was somehow being overbearing or argumentative.

MST: to your question: it is easy to visually distinguish between one finger and two fingers. It is not easy at all to tell if two or three fingers are held up on the left hand.

I looked back through this thread to see what reasons were given why the 3-2 count shouldn't be closed fists. There were two different reasons given:

1) some version of "because it isn't the right way to do it."

2) a question of whether it would be more confusing since a closed fist would mean different numbers depending on whether it was 0-0 or 3-2.

Of these, #1 is of course a non answer. #2 is at least a reason, but it is hard to imagine any real confusion happening.

I never thought this was a big deal or anything, so I apologize if I made a mountain out of a molehill here. But I just kept hearing the same non answer.