Skip to main content

Reply to ""Fun" practice day best ideas"

Thanks all.  Lots of good stuff.  We ended up with a great day...

First we did regular infield and outfield fungo reps but infielders took outfield and outfielders took infield.  Coaches had to join for fielding reps and players hit fungo's.  I threw in safety baseballs for OF's taking infield and let players hit fungo's as hard as they wanted.  It was a blast and the lefty middle infielders made some remarkable diving plays.

Then, we split teams.  Mostly righty's against lefty's (as close as I could come).  It was staged as serious competition with hardware at stake.  I told them we would be playing four different formats.  Had the boys hustle out to positions and hitters ready with helmets.  Split coaches up among the teams.  Had a young coach warming up throwing.  Then, just before first pitch, I switched out the baseball for softballs and the bats for slow pitch bats.  Played two innings of regular slowpitch.  Then, the next three innings were backward baseball - hitting, catching and throwing opposite handed.  Hilarious.  Then the next two innings were kickball.  Saved the best for last...

Blind baseball.  I used a rubber mini basketball for the ball.  Pitch to your own team.  Front toss from around 12'.  Hitter is blindfolded by wearing beanie cap pulled over his head.  Teammates have to talk to hitter to help time the swing.  Three strikes and you're out.  If the ball is hit, teammates have to talk runner to first base - can't touch him.  Defense can make the play for the out.  Hit the ball in fair territory is a run and not recorded as an out.  Reaching first base safely is a bonus run.  Didn't help or give any communication ideas.  Let them figure things out on their own.  

Some expected and lot's of unexpected follies.  Players and coaches rolling on the ground laughing.  

2" plastic trophies from the dollar store were handed out to winning team.  A coach who is usually pretty quiet blurts out "now that you guys have cups, you should wear them".