Skip to main content

Reply to "Fund Raising"

In HS they ran summer camps that earned money, and the team also spent one spring Friday afternoon going around neighborhoods selling a sheet with discount coupons.  Team had a program book, sold ads and "happy ads" that raised a bit, although we gave programs out for free.  Parents worked the concession stand.

I think there were families who donated money, but we weren't asked to do so.  I was doing a lot of concession stand duty (especially when son pitched ), organized the program for 2 years, and bought discount cards, so I figured we were doing our part.  I cannot fathom paying $2000 for high school ball, but then, our school never took spring break trips.

Travel organization tried to do some fundraisers sometimes, we lived far enough away that we never participated.

For college, I think we have bought some shirts and hats that may have been part of a fundraiser.  Which is to say, my son used our money to buy them for our Xmas presents.

The latest in fundraising is companies that do online solicitations by asking students in the group to give names of friends and family, and then pestering them by email and text to donate money.  I was part of a HS organization that raised $15,000 (from about 160 students) - I was stunned, the teacher-sponsor was thrilled.  No-one was required to donate, but I didn't like it.  Now that I think of it, a collegiate summer league team did that the winter before covid.