Skip to main content

Reply to "Funniest Teammate"

Pigpen earned legendary status in another night game that same summer. If you have never been to Houston in July you won’t fully appreciate this. But just imagine 90 degrees & 90% humidity at 9 pm. I was pitching that night and was throwing hard. And sweating bullets. Pigpen was catching and was miserably hot, not being used to the Texas heat. The umpires that night were 2 young lawyers from Austin (Randy Christal & John Bible) that went on to have notable umpiring and football officiating careers. I really liked both of them. Can’t remember which one was behind the plate that night but Pigpen wasn’t happy with his strike zone. He called for a high fast ball and I gave him one. Next thing I know the home plate ump is writhing on the ground in pain. Had to get an ambulance to take him to the hospital to fix his broken arm. As the ambulance drove off the field I asked Pigpen what the hell happened. He said, “I let it go on purpose, man. That will teach that mf’er not to squeeze my pitchers!!”