Skip to main content

Reply to "Future NCAA Athlete providing lessons for $$?"

rynoattack posted:
TPM posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

There are plenty of current college players who coach youth Travel Ball in the summer around here.  It adds to how laughable some of these Travel Programs are when you've got parents paying $2500-$4000 plus travel expenses for their kid to get coached by a 20 year old with very little coaching experience, if any, who is good enough to play college Baseball but not good enough to play in a Summer league.  But I digress!

I have to agree with you on some points. 

No offense to anyone, but if I remember correctly as good as son was in HS going into college, there is no way he could instruct a youth pitcher correctly, and do it for a fee.

Leave instruction and lessons to the professionals.

JMO

I can see your point, the young guys aren't going to be as good as a seasoned, veteran coach, but saying that they need to leave it to the professionals isn't 100% correct.  A 20 year old, college stud, has had many lessons, many coaches, and I would say they have plenty to offer a young kid.  Maybe they aren't worth the $50 - $60 per hour they get in Idaho, but I am sure they could provide value.

When my kids was very young, he attended holiday clinics run by local college players thru the local academy.  For $50 they babysat for a few hours and taught them some basics.