Skip to main content

Reply to "Future of getting a scholarship?"

951Dad,

Just throwing this idea in. Could this have been a life lesson for you son in dealing with some adversity? From what you stated, your son hit well and competed. Why would not the coach find a place for on the field or at least DH? What if the starting catcher gets hurt? A HS team can't go through an entire season with one catcher. When I coached HS a parent was upset his son was hitting lower in the lineup. Dad said it was costing him a chance at his scholarship. The kid was around .200. They kid transfered to another school which a lower level of competition. He did ok while he was there. He ended up at a lower D1 school as a walk on. He was upset he did get the chance to start his freshman year so he transfered. He attended three colleges before giving up on baseball. I am firm believer in working and competing through each situation. I hear where you are coming from as we had many players that wanted to leave their HS teams because certain agendas. I told them all to stick it out and deal with it. They became better for it. College guys know what HS coaches they need to watch out for.