Skip to main content

Reply to "Future of getting a scholarship?"

951dad son came out to a workout/tryout a few weeks ago. When he came out as many others that came out for the tryout to get on a Spring League team.

I saw a player that did stand out during the tryout and did ask him why he was wanting to play in the Spring League, because he appeared to be a very good player from what we could see.

There are many reasons why players don't want to play high school baseball. Many of the reasons are legitimate of why they do not. I don't understand why when a player wants to explore other options of not playing high school that alot of people and coaches assume that there is a problem with the player.

Why can we not look honestly at what is happening with high school baseball. There are many things that are happening that we need to really look at. The coaches that are coaching high school are different than when I was a player. I feel the blame is the NCAA, they have made many bad decisions over the years and they should really take the credit for the way baseball is going backwards.

Back in the 80's, the NCAA passed a rule that limited how many coaches could coach baseball. They gave them 2 full time and a part time along with the Head Coach. Much different than when you look at Football and even Basketball coaching staffs. The coaches that were created for high schools were from the colleges. The coaching staffs were larger during that time period and coaches eventually moved into the high school ranks when jobs opened up for teaching and coaching baseball.

Over a period of time there were fewer and fewer coaches that were being developed to move into the coaching ranks of high school. You have to look at where do the coaches develop to teach and coach. Many of the coaches that are coaching high school today did not receive any training to teach the game.

I was fortunate that I worked as a coach in the collegiate ranks for a couple of very good Head Coaches. John Noce from College of San Mateo and
Dennis Rogers from Riverside Community College. I firmly believe that I received very good training on how to coach from these 2 coaches. Without them, there is no way I would be in the position I am today with the ABD program. They are reponsible for me as a teacher and coach.

Before I went to work for them, I felt that I could coach baseball. I also felt that I needed to learn from good coaches so that I can learn how to teach. What I didn't expect was that I learned that I really didn't know how to teach or coach even though I felt I had good knowledge of the game.

This is something that just about every player asks. And I am sure many of you feel the same out there that when your son would play high school that they should be getting training and develop and move on to college. The problem that is now surfacing is that we all know that something is wrong with how baseball is with the development and so we go out and seek out knowledge and learn the game from baseball people. So when the player goes out and does this, he then get's in a situation that his coach is not happy with him and then try's to make his life miserable. So the player then looks for other options and then a few people like on this site say... "Oh you need to stick it out as a life lesson". I am a firm believer of if you make a commitment to something that you do stick it out.

But when it comes out that a player decides to not play high school that he needs to be loyal to the school. Why? What is the school really doing to develop players? What are truly doing? How many players do you know go back to their school after making it big in baseball? Ask yourself that one and I am sure the answer is not alot.