Skip to main content

Reply to "Future of getting a scholarship?"

2010 SPRING LEAGUE

This year we will have 16 to 18 teams in the league. We will have 10 to 12 in the older division (D1) and 6 to 8 in the younger division (D4). Last year we had 8 with 4 in the older and 4 in the younger. We are growing and getting some momentum with the league.

The league was started for a few reasons. When the decision to start the league was made last year, I felt that it was necessary for a few reasons. One of the reasons is similar to what 951dad situation is.

We had a player last year was demoted to the JV team because he went to a showcase. He went to the showcase after the coach had told him that he can't go. He was told that he couldn't go the Friday after a January practice with the event starting the next day. This player was a Junior and had committed to a DI school earlier in the year. He had not yet played a Varsity HS game.

Since he went to the Showcase he was demoted to the JV team. This is something that made me decide to finally do the Spring League. So we put it out there and let people make a decision. We just wanted to be a JV level type of league in the beginning. But what happened surprised me and the others. After we played the season, we had many of the players that were run off by their high school coach or made a decision to play in the Spring League move on to the collegiate ranks.

The 4 teams that were in the older division were better than the average high school team. Each team played about 35 or 36 games. We played 9 Inning games with wood.

This year some of the teams will play 50 plus games in the D1 level. The D1 level is for players who are Freshman in college and younger. This means that a player who is a redshirt or was cut from a college is able to play during the Spring. About 1/3 of the league will be made up of JC redshirts.

We are starting games this weekend with playing against some high school teams that wanted to play against some of our Spring League teams. We will be hitting with wood and they will be hitting with Aluminum. This should be interesting to see how it goes.

ABD will have 4 teams in the league.

*Bulldogs
*Mustangs
*Red Dogs
*Surfdogs

I will be coaching the Bulldogs. Here is the roster of the Bulldog team.

Aaron Camarillo - C/Cathedral City '10
Andrew King - RHP/Southland Christians '10
Brandon Espinoza - INF/Chino Hills '10
Buddy Traxler - C/1B/Ontario Christian '10
Calvin Ellis - C/1B/Chino Hills '10
Cory Davis - RHP/UT Chino Hills '10
Eric Telarroja - INF/Claremont '12
Grant Devlin - OF/RHP/Palm Desert '11
Johnny Drown - INF/Mission Hills '11
Justin Ybarra - OF/Chino Hills '10
Keaton Hernandez - RHP/Desert Chapel '10
Robbie Witt - OF/Chino Hills '10 Committed to UC Riverside
Tanner Rahier - RHP/INF/Palm Desert '12
Wallace Gonzales - OF/Bishop Amat '11 Committed to San Diego
Zack Bertolette - RHP/Great Oak '10

If you look at the roster of players that are listed, I would say that each one of these players will play college for sure. Some of them will be playing professional baseball. The interesting thing is that the only player that was cut was Robbie Witt and that is because he was the player that was dropped to the JV team. The other teams are similar.

There are a couple more players that will be added to this roster, but they can not be added yet until they let their high school coach know that they decided to look for another option.

We will be hosting tryouts for the next couple of weeks and if players are interested, they can get more information online at http://www.abcleague.org.