Skip to main content

Reply to "Future of University of Maryland Baseball"

Bear -- I am clearly objective towards the Maryland Baseball Program......It has been sub par the past couple of years. I know from paricipating with the recruiting process and speaking with other kids that decided to go play at other schools in the the ACC that: 1) past winning record and future predictions, facilities and the coaches (pitching coach of the kid pitches) are the main factors (and not the amount of the scholorship offer). Maryland's facilities are sub par when comparing to other ACC schools. The initial meeting in the trailer does not help and I have heard that comment from at least six potential recruits including one about to graduate next year. In the past, Maryland coaches have had difficulting in attracting kids from their home state and their chances of being a winning team in the short term were/are not that great. Mr. Vanderbelt may change the approach and overall success -- and only time will tell. I can tell you that the current players respect him and have bought into his blue-collar/us -- versus -- them mental approach. I have had prior dealings with him from the recruiting perspective and it was not pretty. Sorry Bear, although I graduated from Maryland and would have loved for my kid to have gone there ---- the reasons noted above stand on there merit. ----- I hope the Maryland Program can turn the corner. If they win, and improve their facilities -- they should be able to be competitive in the future,. In order to win -- they have to be able to recruit from Maryland and outside of Maryland. That is not easy when you are located on the northern tip of the conference (except for Boston) and you have sub par facilities. Fact not fiction. Hey Maryland will win some big games this year -- no doubt and the coaches should and will be credited with bring the program back ---- Later
Last edited by Trepfan