Skip to main content

Reply to "FWIW..."

Excellent list.  Wish I had a time machine and could do some of this over.  Two things I would add to the list based on recent experience heading down to the final few months of this with my 2017:

1.  Only go to college-specific camps where you have a specific invite from the HC to attend.  The RC and camp coordinators send out invites based on access to lists from sites like PG, Baseball Factory and others, and their goal is to fill up the camp and maximize revenue for the program and coaches.  We've been to several in the hope of getting "noticed" and it became clear very quickly the coaches were focusing on a small, select group of players that they were already recruiting and wanted to see more closely in their camp.  By and large, the college-specific camps my 2017 has gone to have been a waste of time and money.

2.  Regarding Joe's point #2.  That original list of 20-30 should get reduced significantly heading into Senior year, but there may be 4-5 adds to it based on schools with coaches showing serious interest from showcases.  And if it becomes clear a kid is not being recruited by any D1 during the Summer heading into Senior year, the original list (that probably was filled with D1 programs) should be scrapped and a new list of D2, D3, NAIA and JuCo schools should be the focus during the remaining months.  Since many of these schools may be unknown to the recruit, time needs to be made to research the academics, explore the financial aid options (since many are very expensive), and do a campus visit to experience the campus atmosphere and meet the coach.  We are trying to focus on 5 programs and even that is a challenge with school soon back in session and many weekends already filled baseball-related activities, ACT/SAT retests, etc.