Skip to main content

Reply to "FWIW..."

Swampboy posted:

Good stuff.

The first part Joe's explanation to #4 is often overlooked.

Advice is sometimes offered on this site not to showcase until you have size, speed, strength, or skills worth showcasing. And it is generally sound advice--IF you already know more or less where you stand.

However, many aspiring college players do not know where they stand and do not realize how many good ball players they are competing against. Going to a showcase--even if it's before you think you're quite ready--can sometimes be as beneficial for seeing and learning as it for being seen.

How about going to watch one? Or do you feel it's more informational to be on the field realizing you can hold your own or have no business being there? I watched a Big East program's showcase style camp. My son had just started freshman year. I could easily see he would have fit into the "other players" category. I saw four legit prospects. I was told they were invited after being seen at a PG event.

When my son was a 5'11" 135 post freshman I sent him to a $125 showcase style camp sponsored by a local D1. I reminded him it's probably all local players trying to get noticed by a mediocre A10 program. When it was over he realized how much stronger he had to get if he wanted to play in a better program.

Last edited by RJM