Skip to main content

Reply to "Gaining Ground or Replacing ?"

quote:
Originally posted by Coach A:
Point #1:
A ball hit into the hole would simulate a ball being thrown to the outside (RH) in which I said the plant and throw is accurate due to the body loading itself.

Do you change the subject because your point is weak? The "specific" subject of the above post is in response to your claim of the need for linear momentum. My example was the effectiveness of a ss's throw from the hole, with not just NO momentum but in fact negative momentum. And the good ones make good throws from this negative momentum position. Clearly shows their is no need for linear momentum.

quote:

Point #2:
All upper level SS/2B will use footwork towards 1B when the throw or baserunner allow. If a runner is baring down on them, or throw is wide to the LF side of bag, again the "load/unload" action takes over. If you watch, they will move their feet. I haven't met a middle infielder that tells me footwork isn't important in a DP turn.

No they don't always move their feet. They use mulitple techniques. But, when they have to be their quickest, with no fear of the barring runner, and when they get to the bag "on time" the right foot plants at the base, they receive and throw. It is the most quickest turn.

quote:

Point #3:
A pitcher slide stepping still has body weight and momentum moving forward towards the plate. I have yet to see a pitcher slide step and leave their back foot attached to the rubber. That makes no sense. Again, no disrespect, but if you can prove to me that any high level pitcher only pivots on their back foot without following through, I will retract my statement with an apology.

Please.....What does this statement have to do with? The only thing it can have to do with is your lack of a quality response. Where did I say there was no follow through involved with a catchers throw? Where did I say a catcher leaves his right foot on the ground after throwing. Where did I claim a pitcher leaves his post foot in contact with the rubber.

quote:

Point #4: (I promise...last one)Wink
...The thing is that the feet are moving prior to catching the ball (as I suggested in another thread). Anticipation of the catch sets the body up early enough to move the feet and throw it quickly and efficiently.

Exactly....Feet have moved "prior to catching the ball". Which means......right foot is planted while catching and throwing. EXACTLY my point. The key is not the footwork. The footwork is already done. A catcher receiving pitches from a pitcher 95% of the time, already has the feet in the position needed. The key is the load/unload of the hips. The key is "how do you create momentum without moving your feet. How do you create momentum that is not linear? How you do THAT is the key. Not the footwork.............And it is very easily done. And it is not linear. Linear, while creating momentum is slow developing. Too slow. Whatever advantage your player gets from linear momentum is offset by the time it takes to develop it. Fact. Fifteen minutes with your linear catcher and I can teach him how to develop momentum in another fashion. Will take him longer to perfect it. But he can "get the concept" and agree to it's value in 15 minutes.
Last edited by Linear