Skip to main content

Reply to "Game Day Pitching Routine"

proudhesmine posted:

Frank, First off I wish the best of luck to your son on his new goals in being a starter.You are going to get alot of very good advice from some very knowledgable people here.But keep this in mind.In all the advice,tips,opinions you get your son needs to be willing to some trial and error to what works/fits him the best.It may be 90% of the next post and a couple of things from post ten.Could be something else.The one thing I notice from not only the younger guys but from a too high number of HS pitchers is having too much time from stopping thier warm up to actually taking the mound.This is something I first noticed 3-4 yrs. ago with a kid 2016 plays with.That started me watching all the pitchers of whatever game I'm at if there before game starts.I should have kept better track of this.This could be something stats has put some numbers with over the years.Now I'm not saying its a 100% thing if theres 15-20 minutes between warm up and pitching then having a high PC in the 1st inning.But I do see that end up happing alot.I realize playing away games makes it a bit tough just try and keep the time short.

Thank you, he seems pretty excited about it.  I figured I would be able to get some good advice/guidance here, and appears to be the case so far.  

I do know that while he is being planned as a starter, he will of course relieve when needed.  So, he needs to develop a plan for starting, and what he will do when asked to be a reliever.  

Let me also add, from the other post, that the coach will work with him, and does understand what's needed, but wants the kids to have some control and understand what they are doing.  Also, me asking here does not mean that I will create one for him, but he will come up with something, and then we will discuss it before he discusses with coach.

Thanks for the tip on the delays, I'll tell him to be cognizant of that.