Skip to main content

Reply to "Game of failure for who?"

Everyday Dad posted:

Wow very surprised at the comments

Pitchers have ALL the control. They can throw up, down all around. They have 8 backup players. They DON'T go in slumps. Sure they have a bad day now and then, big deal. They come back MUCH easier mentally. They can walk 3 guys in a row and still get out of it. I can go on and on. Hitters fail in a clutch position and that's it, they go sit down. Pitchers failing is taking for granted  and is accepted. Hitters failing is festered and remembered. I'll repeat hitters fail 70% of the time while pitchers succeed 70% of the time. There is no debate

And i'll add, Everyday2018 pitches. It MUCH easier to handle.

I would say the opposite. Hitters failing is taking for granted, I never heard anyone calling mike trout being a failure because he fails 70 percent of the time ( actually only 60 percent because there are walks and hit by pitches). In the end pitchers are judged against other pitchers and hitters against other hitters, neither is easier or tougher.

i also disagree that hitters failing are remembered more. If mike trout goes 0 for 12 in three consecutive games it is not a huge deal. However if Clayton kershaw gets shellacked in three consecutive starts and chased out early there will be a huge media buzz asking whether he is done or injured.

however I agree that the sittjng down aspect is tough in hitting. If you make an out it is usually at least half an hour before you bat again, that is a lot of time to overthink. In pitching you get your next chance quickly. That is easier in some regard but it also means you have to shake it off because if you don't your team loses big time. There is just no easy way out for a pitcher.

Last edited by Dominik85