Skip to main content

Reply to "Gamers"

Robrod posted:
Coach_May posted:

My definition of a gamer: A player who doesn't hit the metrics. If you watch him take infield he wouldn't stand out above the average player out there. If he went to a showcase he would run a 7.2 , have avg bat speed, avg arm , he would just kind of blend in with most of the kids there.

Then you go watch him play in a game. He is always in the right spot at the right time. He barrel's baseballs even though his swing is "not pretty." He isn't fast but he runs the bases fast. He has a knack of just making things happen in a good way. He plays way above his metrics. He plays hard. ...

Yes these guys exist. They are the guy who no one understands why he walked on at a D2 when they see him 4 years into college and he now has developed the metrics to go along with the "Gamer" in him. He's the guy that got that last walk on spot at P5 program and ends up being the starter that no one heard about coming in. He's the guy that just beats your ass. Your not sure how he did it he just does it. 

...They know their metrics are not elite. They also know that their ability to play the game like a gamer means they are better than your metrics. ...

You just described my son....   In showcase, His exit velocity off the tee is 89/90, his IF Velo is 79/80, run's a 7.5....  But his exits are clearly in the 100s on game day (flightscope), I've used timers on coaches eye with distance and have calculated IF velo as high as 90 on a do or die from 3B to Home plate.  He legs out triples, steals a base at least once a game and will make a 3B slow roller play like a seasoned veteran.  He practices good enough to be a 4 hole hitter and starting 3B, and he's always the go to pitcher when there's trouble or to close.   

The Dilema;  He's not flashy / sexy (well, he thinks he is...)  So, how do you get recruiters to take notice?   It seams they rely on showcase numbers, or recruiting video and generally don't attend as many games as we'd think.  When they do, it always seems to me that they are there to see the sexy recruit that's good, but shows better than they really are.

He plays at a large school and is just now going into a starting varsity role as a Jr...   ...   What are your thoughts:

I'm not worried, he's very good... but I do wonder if being a gamer holds him back a little.

If you have an awesome stock car, look to enter it in the best stock car races.  Don't enter it in formula one races. 

If you have a really smart, loyal hunting dog, take it hunting.  Don't try to enter it in a greyhound race.

If you're casting with a 7' spinning rod and 6 lb test line, fish in the local pond, don't go ocean fishing for Marlin. 

Next year, after a year of growth and development, you might have a different car/dog/fishing rig.  For now, no matter how much you like the positive attributes, it is what it is.