Skip to main content

Reply to "Gap Year?"

Originally Posted by JCG:

Fenway, I was going on hearsay on that so I Googled it and found this page:  https://college.harvard.edu/ad...e/should-i-take-time

Interesting read:  it's a biting commentary on the chase for the Ivy League brass ring written by the  heads of the brass ring acquisition commission.  And yeah, turns out that Harvard has recommended that students consider taking a gap year right on the admittance letter for the past 40 years.  

JCG - Thanks for the link.   I think it is very interesting H offers it.  As I mentioned, this was never brought up to my son (or his parents) and we got pretty far down the road with H a few years ago.  The number of gap year takers is pretty small.  The article mentioned 80-110 takers per year, and H enrolls about 2500+ undergrads a year....so about a little less half of 1%.  I can only offer my experiences, and both my oldest sons wanted to start college immediately...they like to study, build stuff, blow it up or take it apart and rebuild it.  They wanted to get started on that path immediately!

You've tweaked my interest in possibly considering a gap year with my youngest son who has far different passions and goals than my oldest sons.  At the very least it is something to consider (another option) when looking at admissions information