Skip to main content

Reply to "Gauging interest?"

It is interesting because my youngest son was looked at by a lot of P5 schools in the Midwest where we lived at the time and had strong interest from an SEC school until their coaching staff turned over.  He is one of those kids you need to see several times to understand effectiveness because he does not have the  velo that is an easy eye test.  The SEC school he signed with, the HC had seen him 15 times at various events, and was really good friends with the RC at the SEC school that was going to make offer as a freshman.  After he committed, several SEC/ACC schools wanted us to re-consider his commitment and were "interested" in talking with him if he de-committed because then they had seen him alot this spring through fall because we moved back to the South.  I think there are players like mine that it takes longer to understand their pitchability versus just velo as a pitcher and I think there are hitters who hit for average that it is harder to predict their hittability because they don't have the homeruns.  The top players are easy to pick out because of velo and power.  The next level players who have gaudy numbers but not the power or velo are the ones that make coaches work to recruit.  The sad part is they may be the ones who succeed the most in the long run.  They are the ones who pitch complete games and hit .400 plus and get on so the power guy can go 2/10 and maybe hit a HR to get them in.  Every time I look at anybody's rankings I see guys who my son has dominated over the past five years as hitters or pitchers who are ranked ahead of him.  I get frustrated then I get over it.  Where we are now, if you are not going to the state SEC or ACC school you will not get ranked high because of loyalty I assume.