Skip to main content

Reply to "Georgetown University Baseball - Any Knowledge, Experience w Program / Camps?"

My son played for Georgetown University and Coach Wilk. My son had options coming out of high school but he had his priorities when making his decision.

• He wanted to play D1 (please no comments about why just D1, I agree there are many great D2 programs and D3 programs, but Like I said these were his priorities)…he did consider D2/D3 programs but a priority was D1. Georgetown plays in the Big East and his first few years it was the old Big East so he got the opportunity to play against some very strong teams, one of his best outing/memories was against an 9th ranked Louisville team.( Hoyas won one game that weekend). While the new Big East may not be as strong there are still very good programs ( Creighton, St Johns and Seton Hall Etc….) so Georgetown still gives your son an opportunity to play and shine against good competition.
  • He wanted to go to a top Academic school. While there are many strong Academic programs out there Georgetown certainly is among them. He was pretty sure he wanted to get a Business degree and the business school at Georgetown is a top ranked program.
  • He wanted to go away to school, he had an opportunity to play at schools with in a 45 minute drive but that was too close. Georgetown was 2.5-3.0 hours away.
  • Wanted his parents to have a chance to see him play. The Big east schedule and Georgetown spring schedule with many Virginia and North Carolina games allowed that.
  • Want a chance to get exposure for the next level. Georgetown provided that opportunity. He got the opportunity to play in the Cape and was not the only Georgetown player to have this opportunity. Coach Wilk has connections to get his players an opportunity to play in the Cape. He did get some very good exposure to the next level. Georgetown had scouts at many other their games , my son’s last year their catcher went in the eighth round.

The program does not have the top notch facilities, the locker room, off campus field (on a good traffic day a 15 minute drive and on campus practice facilities are not the state of the art. But I can tell you in a lot of way that brought the team together in many ways. Also I loved watching games at Povich, great place to watch a game. I also watch the team treat the field with great respect and they have fond memories of playing there.

They are in the processing of a huge capital improvement with a new athletic center that will benefit the baseball program as well as all other sports. To be clear Basketball still drives the car.

I read some of the some comments about Coach Wilk but as with any college coach you will have people will different opinions and those opinions may change over time. All I can tell you is what we experienced and we were very happy with Coach Wilk, he certainly has players first in his heart. While he ran a tight ship, the team was treated with respect and as young men. Those that demonstrated that they can handle the freedom of college were allowed to grow under coach Wilk.

While  you do not go to Georgetown for the State of the art  scoreboard, new baseball fields or  high tech locker room with video rooms Etc…but the baseball is played at a high level and the program is well run. Add in the outstanding education and the after graduation employment opportunities (very strong alumni connections) Now consider the location, Georgetown and DC are unbelievable places to live (my son had a dorm and house that had roof top views that had million dollar views); it is a fantastic place to go!

If anyone wants specific questions answered ask away or send me a private message if they do not want to ask a public question.