Skip to main content

Reply to "Getting good GPA bull at DIV I"

Sounds to me like this boy is being set up for failure or he's just going there until he thinks he'll be drafted. Personally, I wouldn't want to do that to my son. He was diagnosed with ADHD by the school in elementary school. He always had to work harder to get B's and C's. In HS, didn't want to be "different" so refused to take advantage of many of the opportunities he could have taken advantage of, like untimed tests, etc. If it was a subject he liked, he did well, and if he didn't like it, well, he just got by. I thought he should take the juco route since they usually do have smaller classes and extra help. He didn't want to go that route and instead chose a smaller D-III. I have to admit, I had a thought or two that he'd decide college wasn't for him once he got there but he's really surprised us. His grades are better and he actually will meet w/professors on his own if he needs extra help. Maybe this young man will mature and take advantage of the extras his school may have too. But you're right about a D-I in many cases having oversized classes and you can become just a number whereas in a smaller setting the professors actually know you by name. If I were his parents, I'd really have to think about setting my son up for failure.