Skip to main content

Reply to "Getting good GPA bull at DIV I"

It is easier to believe in a kid who has proven that he will work hard and get good grades, but as many have said, we aren't privy to all the circumstances with this particular kid.

I can say it is a fact that many students who were high achievers in high school have failed (miserably) academically in college......and many high risk kids have succeeded tremendously in college.

Most of you are correct in saying that the coach offering the scholarship is taking a big risk; that is correct. Stealing home is risky, but when done successfully is unbelievably satisfying.

It is the coach's and the institution's risk, not our risk. It is also a risk taking a hard throwing pitcher who has control problems, but coaches do it. Who are any of us to say that the coach is wrong for taking the kid.

Many of us who contribute to these forums have written many times about the importance of getting good grades in high school, and it is important, but it isn't the only thing.

I would have loved to have a local kid a few years ago who had a 1.7 GPA.....but my school wouldn't admit him, though I tried to lobby for him. He has a learning disability. After being at over 100 Division I games in the last couple years, I am convinced this kid could be succeeding at a Division I school on the baseball field, and with help in the classroom. He decided not to go to school at all. Nobody ever believed in him as a student. When he didn't get into my school, he decided he didn't want to be in that uncomfortable environment anymore, so now he is mowing lawns, landscaping, working hard and doing it well. I know him very well, and his family, as he had been a teammate of my son's for several years. He would have gone to school if we just would have given him the opportunity. I was willing to take that risk.

That doesn't mean that other good, hard working students were not being given consideration by this coach.....it really has nothing to do with any other kid. There are high achieving kids who have poor attitudes and are distractions on teams.....or their parents cause problems, and coaches take risks on them.

Which would you prefer, a good, unselfish kid with bad grades, or a self-centered high achieving cancer of a kid on your team? In a heartbeat, I pick kid #1.