Skip to main content

Reply to "Getting good GPA bull at DIV I"

I'm not understanding what the problem is here. ALL schools have admission guidelines as does the NCAA they are MINIMUM requirement guidelines. Either a student qualifies or he doesn't. Each and every coach is (or should be) held accountable fot the academic standing of his players. Some coaches are willing to maybe take a chance on a certain player in hopes there may have been circumstances which led to that student maybe not performing up to his potential academically while in high school. That is up to the coach and the university admissions office. Every coach I've spoken to about my son so far has asked for grades, classes and test scores..it WILL have a bearing as their roster is set for a couple of reasons; they only have so much athletic scholarship money available so if a student can receive academic money(which can never be cut as long as the player maintains the academic standards set by the university) it frees up athletic money for others who may not be as gifted students. Also if a coach is looking at 2-3 players to fill a particular need with very little difference in playing abilities the player with a stronger academic background is going to get the first shot. Coaches cannot afford to lose players to academics, there is too much time and effort put in to setting a roster to have it fall apart due to poor grades. The true blue chipper is always going to have opportunities that many other very good players may not have but once there they will have to meet the same standards as the rest of the student body, if that university is willing to take that chance that is their choice. So, except for those few exceptional players GPA will have a strong bearing on receiving D1 offers.