Skip to main content

Reply to "Getting good GPA bull at DIV I"

quote:
Originally posted by itsagreatgame:
And by the way, to some degree, a learning disabled student may have some advantage over a "regular" student/athlete. (There are all these messy federal laws regarding those "learning disabled / special ed" kids). Visit the US DOE website for more details.

I suppose some folks would think that's unfair as well....

Having had way too much experience with those messy federal laws, I can say that a lot of kids would have NO chance at success in school without them.

Long ago I thought that sometimes life is just unfair and you learn to deal with it - now I believe that (at least when it comes to school) fairness is actually giving each kid what he or she needs to be successful. IF that includes laws mandating accommodations then so be it - and believe me I am not a fan of too much government regulation. When I was a kid in the 60's, the 'special ed' kids had perpetual recess. Fortunately learning disabled kids today are not written off as a waste of time to teach!

itsagreatgame - I know you are not saying those laws are unfair, but just have to add my take on them Smile