Skip to main content

Reply to "getting my glove down fast enough"

quote:
Originally posted by paul5150:
quote:
Originally posted by Texan:
At SS, when the pitch leaves the pitcher's hand, the glove should be down kissing the clay. The knees bent, the weight on the front half of your feet.

Think aggressive, play aggressive.

Take extra grounders in practice and after practice, build that confidence back up. Then that slump will be a long way back in the rear view mirror.

my coach was a SS in the MLB for 14 years and says that MIF shouldnt start low like you say. You should have a little bend but athletic position. 3rd and 1st should be the ones with the glove touching the ground.

I agree. If you start with the glove on the ground, when the ball is hit the player will raise up to move to the ball and then have to work down again to field it. IMO, it is hard to field a bouncing ball when your eyes are shifting up and down as well.

We teach being in a ready athletic position when the ball is pitched. When it is hit go get it, breakdown and get the glove in front and on the ground, and work around and through the ball to get momentum for the throw.

We teach breaking down like an airplane landing. We glide down to the ball and not stabbing down to the ball.
Last edited by CatchingCoach05