Skip to main content

Reply to "Getting Recruited Out of Juco"

@adbono posted:

The JuCo player will meet with his coaches during fall of his sophomore year. The player will provide a list of 10 or so of his schools of interest. They will have a conversation about how realistic that list is. As in, is that player good enough to play at those schools. Are his grades good enough, etc. When the list is agreed upon the phone calls begin. Video is sent. Visits are scheduled and completed. And offers are generated.

This is 100% what my son is going through.

@Francis7 a couple things very different from HS recruiting:

In HS my son had showcase metrics. In Juco he has an actual college slashline, and he's played in front of a large number of scouts.

His HS and travel coaches saw him as a 14-18 YO living at home. His Juco coach has seen him as an adult, showing up every day on his own, making life choices in a college setting.

This means that he and his coach go into that meeting with a better sense of reality than he could have had as a 16-17 year old. And when the Juco coach calls the 4-yr coach, the receiving coach knows that the judgement about the player is made after seeing him perform intensively, on and off the field, as an adult. This all helps the player to make a decision about programs where he can realistically step in as a contributor from day one.

Yes, if you look at where a Juco's players end up, there will likely be a cluster of schools that indicate the HC's personal network. But at @Consultant indicates, it's not a constraint, especially for top talent. My son's HC has been happy to cold-call coaches from schools outside the area, where it made sense.

HS recruiting seems to involve some voodoo of paying for the right travel team, going to the right showcases and popping the right metrics, having the right video, tweeting the right hashtags... for Juco players, in my experience, their track record and HC voiceover is what matters.