Skip to main content

Reply to "Getting the Most Out of Summer Ball"

How about this one....lol   Son heads to summer ball as a college reliever/DH with the intention of being a starter this summer..and hopefully get a few AB's.   Throws 4 innings opening day and some lingering elbow soreness from his spring season (nothing really awful...just tight) shows up.  We figure, heck, might as well find out.  Got it looked at...fortunately no issues...and his shoulder being tight is actually what was causing most of the issue.  Anyway...14 days off until he even starts to ramp it back up.....in the meantime, his bat (which was very, very good in HS) has magically come back around.....hitting .388, batting cleanup and named the starting DH in the League All-Star game.  2nd on the team in doubles, 2nd in RBI's in half the AB's and 8 K's in 61 AB's.   He has tried to get back on the mound, but I think the desire has just left him lol.  He was a hitter that pitched in HS...and I think that the thrill of having a bat in his hand is back.  He is  continuing to throw, but says that after the long layoff he just doesn't see any chance of being ready to go before the summer ends...(3 weeks) so he's just gonna stick to the bat for now.  It will be real interesting to see what happens come fall.  His college team is ridiculously weak offensively and defensively.  He was an all state SS in HS, but could easily transition to corner OF or 3B if it will help him crack the everyday lineup.   Gonna be an interesting fall I think.  Hope everyone else is enjoying their summer as much as me....it's been great seeing him back at the plate everyday.