Skip to main content

Reply to "Ghosting or something else?"

When I look back, my son encountered three types of recruiters...

Interested then fizzled- good initial 1-2 calls expressing interest, then no contact (ghosting).  They never actually told him they weren't interested, but they didn't respond consistently to communications.  These schools fell into two categories: Top programs my son may not have been qualified to play at (Top 25 P5 programs) and lower tier programs that my son wouldn't have been interested in for academic or baseball reasons.

Quick offer - offered on the first or second phone call.  These schools were places my son was maybe overqualified to play at.

Sustained interest then offer - multiple phone calls, texts, emails, conversations with coaches, requests for transcripts before making an offer.  These were the schools where my son's skill level at the time was a good match for the team (generally D1 programs that were not Top 25).  Occasionally the recruiters would miss a call or fail to respond, but they weren't ghosting him.

I can't think of one school that sustained a long term (1+ month), consistent conversation without eventually making an offer.

Other important context:

-All correspondence was during the summer/fall of his junior year, so schools were able to contact him directly.

-All of this happened during the extended dead period during the covid pandemic.

I hope this helps.