Skip to main content

Reply to "Ghosting or something else?"

This post is for the tweeners, a kid that could have a chance to play D1 or other levels, but not come in as a Freshman and contribute right away, which is 99% of kids that go D1. If you haven't gotten an offer and your a 2022 graduate, go JUCO! There you and others will be able to evaluate what level you can compete at, not just take up a roster spot. If your thinking is to have your kid on a roster and ride the bench till the writing on the wall is obvious, you need to change your recruiting philosophy.

My son was one of those, had it in his head to go D1. Had a dozen offers from every level from D2, NAIA, D3, and Juco. He ended up with a D1 offer summer after senior year (late bloomer, great senior year) The D1 was less then stellar program, but they played the big boys and they offered money) He went there, came out of the pen as a freshman for the first 3 series. First kid he faced was Nick Gonzalez, the NCAA player of the year and gave up a 3 run bomb. LOL Fast forward to the 10th game of the year, got his first start against the #4 team in the country and arguably the toughest place to play at in front of 8,200 fans and beat them with a winless team. Covid hits and he wasn't happy with program, wanted more, etc. Goes into transfer portal, ends up at a JUCO and tears UCL. Ends up getting picked up at a mid major and might be ready to go by baseball season. The reason I say all of this is because i've watched kids coming from HS to these programs and they're nowhere close to being ready to compete against grown men 4 and 5 years older then them. Not just physically, but mentally. Huge difference. So when people say go where you're loved and can PLAY, that's 100% correct. JUCO in the South and other areas ain't no joke, and it will humble you. If you can be successful at JUCO, then you'll probably be alright at a mid major. I have buddies at JUCO right now that I know could've been on D1 rosters, but that's the thing, just on a roster. Right now you have guys 25 years old  Men on college rosters. My advice to tweeners that have aspirations of playing D1 baseball instead of other levels, go JUCO and see how it plays out. If you crumble at JUCO, then you know where you're at in the pecking order. Good luck