Skip to main content

Reply to "Giving Signs: nail polish, stickers, chalk?"

@adbono posted:

Only a catcher’s parent would utter that kind of nonsense. Pitchers not being smart enough to remember signs? Gimme a break!  I have seen very few HS catchers that are really good at playing their own position and even fewer that have any idea how to call a game. IMO their are fewer elite players in HS at catcher than any other position. Unlike other positions, every college team has to play at least 2 catchers - and it’s a very critical position. If your kid has potential as a catcher, and he likes doing it, you should try and develop those skills as it will greatly increase the odds of getting to play for more years.

I was only joking.... sorta. A few of the pitchers on the team get crossed up quite a bit. Mostly happens with a runner on second and they change signs. That's when I told him to ask the pitchers what they want the signs to be.

So far this season in 4 games I've seen one catcher that I (and my son) rated as outstanding. 2 were terrible and 1 was raw. We'll see a few more, but 1 out of 4 isn't great. Some of the higher rated PG C's I see have a canon and crush at the plate, but their receiving and game management aren't great.