Skip to main content

Reply to "Go "Noles""

I agree with Yankee Clipper. There's no need to use an ethnic stereotype as a team mascot. Making a clown out of a representative of a group and using that clown as a team mascot is disrespectful, and if I've tried to teach my kids anything it's not to be disrespectful - especially towards people you don't even know. I've seen the "Indian" mascots - they aren't pretty. The Atlanta Braves' tomahawk chant (or whatever it is) makes my skin crawl (I keep seeing Jane Fonda doing it.) The phony arguments justifying using a cartoonish "Indian" clown as a mascot because the "fighting Irish" isn't offensive to Irish Americans are pretty transparent. Clipper is right: it's no more OK to call a team the "Indians" than it would be to call them the "Darkies" (with a blackface tap dancing mascot?) or the "Beaners" with a Mexican sleeping against a cactus for a mascot. People are people, not animals or dirtbags. It is demeaning to the members of that group - even if they don't want to complain about it.