Skip to main content

Reply to "Go Where You are Loved"

The saying is "Play Ball." Go where you have a better than reasonable shot at PLAYING. For this to happen you need to be brutally honest with yourself. If the coach is not clamoring to have you, then, you are likely not his first choice.

When my son was going through the process, there was a D1 school in South Carolina that was his dream school. As a California kid, he was not on their radar. We did everything we could to market him to that school. The more we did, the less they did. Until, April 30th of his senior year. We got a call from the coach offering him a small scholarship (this was back in the mid-2000's). With the offer, he said that the two kids before him on their recruiting list opted to go somewhere else. This meant the my son was at best #3 on their recruiting list at his position.

In talking with his coach, he made a very astute point. He said, if you are #3, what are the chances that they will be recruiting for that position next year. The reality was he wasn't their first of second choice. Is that really the love that you want.

He chose to go to a D3 school that made it very clear that they wanted him from day one. They made no real promises; however, they were clear that they wanted him. In the end it was the right choice. He played all four years, was a 2-time all-american and had the opportunity to play pro ball. In then end he went were he was wanted rather than going someplace that he only dreamed about.

In all my years of participating on this board, I am constantly amazed at the number of people that spend hours believing that as a walk on (invited or not) will have a good shot at playing. It happens yes, but there is a reason that coaches spend the time recruiting. They want the best players that give them the best opportunity to win. If they want you they will let you know. There are no guarantees, however, they will make it clear if they want you.