Skip to main content

Reply to "God, Country, Honor in Baseball"

I understand both sides of it.  I also know 2 kids right now that backed out of their commitments in the last month.  1 to a P5 who was told another P5 would offer and didn't so now he is at a small D1.  Other was a P5 commit who realized as they signed catchers that he was not in the plan like he thought earlier.  If you believe schools should be punished, then you have to believe players should also.  Should these kids not be allowed to play for a year because they decommitted. 

I also don't buy into the fact that you have to stop going to things because you committed, it is just a choice that you make.  The recruiting process is a trust situation in life.  The player trusts that when November 14th rolls around the school will honor their offer and the school trusts that the player will sign the NLI.  At any point before it is signed, either can withdraw with no apparent penalty other than the player may not be trusted by other schools and the school may not be trusted by other players. 

As in any area of life, if you are not the top dog the view can be really bad.  The further back in the pack you are the more life stinks.