Skip to main content

Reply to "Going to bbcor"

Dadof3 posted:

My son will be 12 this year, and 13 for next.  I was thinking about next year when they go to bbcor.  He is a somewhat bigger kid right now, swinging a 32" 21 oz bat.  But I am thinking to go to a 32" bbcor would be a shock.  Do most kids drop some length? So would it benefit him to go to a 30" bbcor when the time comes?  I know I am probably getting ahead of myself, but I am curious as to what the best thing to do is.  And who knows, he may grow to the point that size (32") and weight (29 oz) might not be too big of a deal, but I am thinking it would be.

We did a gradual transition with my son because he was on the smaller side and really needed to create bat speed to get the ball deeper into the outfield. As he adjusted we moved from -8 at at 11, -5 at 12 and BBCOR at 13. He has both a 32 and 33 inch BBCOR because there are times he likes the shorter/lighter bat depending on who he is facing. We just used his old LL bat for LL, which he stopped after age 12 anyway.

With regards to wood bats, can't say enough good things about the Baum Bat. He definitely won't break it (not without trying) and it's legal all the way through MiLB AAA level.

Last edited by SanDiegoRealist