Skip to main content

Reply to "Good 3rd pitch for small HS part-time pitcher?"

The change up is a feel pitch more than any other IMO. It’s difficult to master for a lot of pitchers (especially young ones) and far too many give up on it way too soon. It’s the most important pitch in baseball and literally anyone can throw it. Everyone can’t throw 90+ but everyone can learn an effective CU. It needs to be part of every pitcher’s arsenal. Hitting is all about timing. Therefore pitching should be about upsetting a hitter’s timing. And nothing does that more effectively than a CU that looks like a FB coming out of the hand. As a player I could never master the circle change. I teach it but I was never good at throwing it. I have big hands and was able to throw the fork ball as a CU. Once I learned to command it everything changed for me. I was a 90+ guy back when that was special. But that’s all I had and I couldn’t command it. Besides learning to change speeds I had to learn to back off max effort velo to gain command. Only when I did those two things did I become an effective pitcher. Any kid that has big hands and long fingers should experiment with the fork ball/splitter. I prefer the forkball as a CU b/c it’s easy to throw (given the above criteria) and it looks like a FB until it tumbles to the bottom of the strike zone (hopefully). The splitter turns into a BP speed FB if the fingers are too much on top of the ball - which is the most common mistake I see. Best advice for any young pitcher is to keep experimenting w/ the CU until he finds one that works for him. No matter how long it takes.