Skip to main content

Reply to "Good Article on Early Commitment"

Batty67 posted:

Fun read. I just read one of those about a local player who decommitted to Coastal Carolina.

Speaking of that fine institution, my son's now ex-GF (following 3-4 almost break ups and the drama), basically was told last year (after verbally committing her sophomore year) that they miscalculated the scholarship pool and were cutting her award in half. I think that is a highly questionable mistake but she decommitted and she is still having difficulty finding her academic/softball home for 2017 (and she was all-met). 

Anyhow, this makes me wonder, are there any true repercussions for a school pulling that sort of bait-and-switch?

Not really. Up until a NLOI is signed, any verbal agreement is on the honor system. Having said that, it'd be fun if some athlete like that had the stones to sue based on contract law. However, it would be difficult to get around the Statute of Frauds most states have codified which basically requires any contract that cannot be fulfilled within one year to be put in writing.