Skip to main content

Reply to "good conditioning"

Not to worry too much about terminology CAdad, but the word cell and fiber can be interchangeable when talking about muscle histology, so technically new muscle fibers/myocytes are laid down constantly in an athlete that performs enough strength training to damage muscle tissue. These new muscle cells come from skeletal muscle satellite cells( a form of stem cell). Here is an exerpt from the International Journal of Biochemical Cell Biology that may explain the concept a bit:

Muscle satellite cells.

"These act as a reserve population of cells, able to proliferate in response to injury and give rise to regenerated muscle and to more satellite cells. Satellite cell-derived muscle precursor cells may be used to repair and regenerate damaged or myopathic skeletal muscle."

I know this isn't a post on physiology or performance enhancing supplements, but this is the primary reason that I recommend the supplement HMB to any athlete over 16 that is on a strength program, studies have shown that it minimizes muscle breakdown without slowing muscle fiber regeneration and development. Studies show an increase of 6 pounds lean muscle mass over control subjects within a matter of weeks. Very neat productwithout the side effects of Creatine. But I must add that I also never recommend anything without consulting your physician first.

Sorry to go on, just trying to explain my stance on this area.