Skip to main content

Reply to "Good Luck To All Trying Out"

DALEX posted:

I knew there would be at least a few good players who would not make the cut... Unfortunately, it happened to a great kid my son played with for several years. This kid has a MLB pedigree, with a grandfather who played a few seasons in the majors.  Really hoping this particular kid doesn't give up on ball completely, he's just one of those kids who is a few years behind in the maturation process--fundamentally he's sound and a great attitude.

Take it from a dad whose freshman is only 5'7 and 130 lbs  wet.  We walked away from a travel club that was also the "All Star team" for a cap ripken league.  We stopped playing by their daddy ball rules and they kept saying how small T was.  They went to the world series after we left.  Coaches had zero respect for him! Yet every team we have played for since made him the hands down starter.    He is a catcher and works tirelessly.  

If you ever get to talk to that player...Tell him to keep working on the SKILLS.  Work on his technique.  Once he gets the size, and he has the technique down, he is going to get NOTICED.    Ive had many coaches come up to T and compliment him on his technique.  Now that he is lifting and maturing, all that patience is going to pay off.  

A friend of mine was a damn good pitcher out of MD and was drafted by the Marlins.  His arm went in college.  A good friend of his wasn't the most gifted of players but worked his butt off.  Said he wasnt the most gifted of athletes but worked harder than anyone he knew.  Ended up being the MVP of 2006 Cardinals world series team (David Eckstein).   I do believe you have to have talent but hard work can add up and cover a lot of talent.

IMO

Last edited by Kevin A