Skip to main content

Reply to "Good player but high school politics means no playing time"

quizzkid57 posted:

We moved to small rural county King George VA last year and he  made JV team in 10th grade. Never played all season until last game.  Other parents and players do not understand why he never played; so this is not my, his Father, opinion.  He drove in 3 runs single time up at  bat in last game.

How can he get playing time and a coach's recommendations to play college ball?  Or even just get basic stats? 

Academics are excellent and he is in 11th grade looking at colleges, most likely division III.  Tried out for Evoshield Canes but they have not answered emails asking for his stats. Currently attending hitting clinic in Fredericksburg.  Moved several times in last few years; Iowa to NJ to VA.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

The best approach would have been (and still is) for your son (not you) to talk to the coach and inquire as to what he needs to do to better himself.  Don't mention playing time - Never.  The good news is the coach must have seen something in tryouts to put him on the roster.  Again what he saw in practice is also a determining factor as to how much playing time a player may get though I agree JV is a time for development and not an emphasis on winning.  Winning is the job of the varsity coach.

To be honest, it doesn't matter what you or any other parent "thinks".  It only matters what the coach thinks based on his evaluation of players in practice and games.  It's his team, not yours.  Get use to it - it doesn't get any better at the college level.

Full disclosure - My son was attended KGHS and played JV/Varsity from 2008-2012 - two years as a JV starter and three years as a Varsity starter.  I don't know who the JV coach is now, but I do know the varsity coach.  Trust me when I say the coach nor the AD put up with "politics".  If you have a legitimate concern, then yes they may listen.  But if it's over playing time - forgetaboutit.

As to college exposure you are on the right track by trying to find a travel team in the area,  Canes and the Cardinals are very good teams. I'm not sure of any others that may be in the region as our son hasn't played travel ball since 2010.  Even the travel team my son was on no longer exists.  It was a local team that existed to help prepare the kids for HS ball.  You may want to try contacting the Virginia Sports Complex in Caroline County so see if they may know of some local and regional teams.  Occasionally I see "player wanted" ads in the sports section of the Free-Lance Star.

Just a word of caution.  Be careful when chasing the athletic scholarships.  If not careful one can spend more than the scholarship is worth IF a an offer even comes.  Encourage your son with his studies.  There is far more academic money available (scholarships and merit aid) than athletic money.

Last edited by FoxDad