Skip to main content

Reply to "Good WHIP for HS?"

quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
the key stat in hs is wins and losses

TR: That is a loaded response. If you're talking team W/L, I would say this is exactly the reason why HS pitchers are abused. Get as many wins as possible and if the kid doesn't survive to 19, who cares?

It depends greatly on the coach, how & if he develops #4-6 on his staff. Every big school has a couple of pitchers. The coach can ride them or keep them healthy. Depends on the opportunity you give the rest of the staff...

If you're talking about pitcher's individual W/L, I can see your point to some extent. The kid who can pitch effectively enough to win is the kid you want piching for you. He's the kid who can win 1-0 or 7-5 depending on the day. With a big lead, he pitches to contact on strike one, might give up some hits but doesn't walk anyone after the lead is established. In a close game, he paints the corners, goes deeper into counts, works for every out, etc.

Basically, he's the kid who competes to win the ball game. When the coach takes him out, he argues about it. He comes into the den when he gets home and wants to quit HS ball because that "old *** doesn't get it!" I live with one of those.

My point still holds, if the coach is calling the pitches, the pitcher can't be that pitcher unless the coach lets him compete.