Skip to main content

Reply to "Good WHIP for HS?"

quote:
You’re asking a question based on what some of us consider a pretty worthless metric to begin with. ERA is about on the same level as BA, as far as telling much about a pitcher.

I couldn't disagree with this statement more. ERA is one of, if not the most important statistic for a pitcher that exists. I've never heard a single baseball person, sabermetrician or not, say otherwise. As they look further into the category itself in different comparative ways (Ie. DIP ERA or ERA+), the premise remains the same. How many runs are earned towards the pitcher?

I said it may be nearly impossible because most HS scoring systems are flawed. There are, of course, exceptions to that rule.

My assumption was that OOPS would be more beneficial to an analyst than WHIP when looking at a pitcher in the same light...effectiveness of keeping runners off base and thus, from scoring. I assume there will always be a direct correlation between OOPS and WHIP and OOPS and ERA, just as there usually is between ERA and WHIP. I just think it may be even more accurate.
Last edited by J H