Skip to main content

Reply to "Gotta love trying to play baseball this time of year"

This is a great, if totally expected regional thread! Like WKLink's experience, my kid played his first games of the season in an early-season tournament populated mostly with local travel teams. For the past few seasons, one of our league's coaches has been casually assembling a group of kids from the league and combining them with a core of kids from his league team (so not really an all star team) to play this tourney.

Each year it's the same story: at least one really blustery, dark day; lights on by 1PM; periodic showers to driving, cold, soaking, sideways rain. All the canopies in the world didn't keep us dry.

The kids from all teams were troopers and a credit to youth baseball as they played right through it all. The fields are 100% field turf so they continue to drain and play well, but it is just so different than how I picture the early season in FLA or AZ!

And I totally agree with JJ about taking the boys to see the local high school play while the boys are still in elementary or middle school. Especially if you have a school with a nice program nearby. We get over to Mosier Field (Burien south of Seattle) and catch Highline HS (Seamount 3A) as frequently as our schedule allows.

An added diversion for me is the fun of trying to pick the scouts out from the guys filming Ryan Brett (the local prospect) behind the home plate screen. And then, of course, there's the fun of watching a high-level prospect like Ryan playing with his school buddies.

It sure makes a guy hopeful about his own little brood! Smile