Skip to main content

Reply to "grades"

First let me preface this (and my sons will attest), I expected my sons to do their very best in the the classtroom, and always stressed getting good grades. But the realities of the world are a bit different for the "Athletes" out there.

I look at this from a little different angle, seeing how I was a Very good student myself and played a collegiate sport, but wasn't the STUD, and knew nothing of recruiting back then... and so was only an invited walk-on, with a small academic grant. Where another player on my team, with barely average grades, had close to a full ride, and after two years I ended up playing ahead of him. That's when you learn life isn't always fair. (but hard work helps even things out)

So my perspective is a little different, as my son is also a TOP student. But when the rubber hit the road, and scholarships were being handed out... and school choices being made. It was his ability to swing a bat that made the difference... not his grades. There were several schools that were recruitng my son, which made offers to players who could not qualify for the publically proclaimed academic standards of the school. I became disillusioned... It was if my son's hard work to get good grades meant nothing, in the process. And in the end it was his athletic ability that allowed him to attend the school he eventually chose. (Of course he wouldn't be there if his grades were all Cs)

I have yet to see any college, not REDUCE their academic requirements for an athlete and that includes IVY leagues and other top schools in the country... The same student without top athletic ability would never have a chance at being accepted. I've also seen very high end top notch students get rejected from the same or similar universites. These students had better than 4.0 GPAs and high SAT scores. (I know of several that did not get accpeted at THEIR 1st choice school)

A perfect "PUBLICIZED" example can be read in the book "Moneyball" Billy Beane.... Got Scholarship offered and acceptance to attend Stanford and to play baseball, but signed a pro contract and became NCAA inlegible and then tried to go back and take classes at Stanford, and was told his acceptance was withdrawn... (see pg 13)

So while grades are important... and give you some choices... I wouldn't say "utmost", AND.... IF you really want a lot of choices become that STUD athlete,... coaches find a way. (but it is easier on them if you have good grades)
Last edited by SDBB