Skip to main content

Reply to "grades"

I'm not at all about not stressing GRADES First. But I'm telling you the reality I found in College recruiting. And as I mentioned I was disillusioned. Perhaps is was my perception, but this is what I felt from the experiences my son went thru in the recruiting arena. His grades were secondary. As long as he could meet a minimum level, (which all students typcially have to meet to be accepted) that's all coaches worried about... So anything above that minimum level, had very little additional value.... I was befuddled.

I found that only the ELITE schools required grades above the minimum. And even they reduced their Normal standards for athletes.
Take a look at the fine print of the entrance requirements at several schools Here's one for example from a TOP 25 rated academic school.

quote:
We are also very interested in your personal development and background, and we use these elements from the application to increase our understanding of you as a whole person. Consequently, the personal statement forms an integral part of our review process.We consider:

cut...
Exceptional achievements, such as recognition for special talents or extracurricular activities.

This is from an actual application... and is the way coaches can get students with sub-standard grades into the college

I'm not saying that is right, but that is what I experienced.